After the outside hygge of summer, with ice creams by the sea, cocktails in the garden and endless hours spent outside (if the wonderful British weather allows us!), Autumn finds our hygge moving inside for the most part. Autumn is a season of great promise, change and new starts at school, work and home.
Below is a simple list of things you can do alone or with your family this Autumn season. Some of them are outside activities, others very much happen when the door is shut and the lights turned down low.
- One of my favourite activities, is to go for a crisp autumn walk, wrapped up with a big coat, scarf and boots and pick up conkers and acorns with my children. Sometimes if we find any particularly interesting shaped ones or attractive twigs and leaves, we bring them home and use them as autumnal decorations.
- How about going for a walk alone to your local park and just watch the leaves show their true colours? Sit down on a bench, watch, listen and relax.
- Rummage in your cupboards and pull out some of your candles with an autumn scent and put them on your fireplace – your house will smell delicious! How about crisp green apple or cinnamon?
4. Find a creative project and get started on it! Do you like knitting? How about starting a Winter scarf for yourself?
5. Discover a new warm drink that you can indulge in – my favourite is a mulled spice tea and whenever I sit with a hot cup of that I instantaneously breathe a sigh of relief! Tea, coffee, chai, hot chocolate or mulled cider, as long as its warm!
6. Gather with friends and plan an evening of frugal fun. Get together in a house, bring food, beer and a couple of board games and spend the evening playing together by candlelight!
7. Swap summer cushions for thick woolly winter ones, and put out your warm throws.
8. Add a few Autumn themed movies on to your Netflix watchlist ready to chill on the cold and dark afternoons.
9. Unearth the slow cooker and make a stew, casserole, chilli. Make bulk so you can place it in freezer containers to pull out for a last minute tummy warmer. Want to know how to bulk cook? Check out this post: 14 Tips to Simplify your Meal Planning.
10. Create yourself an Autumnn comfort basket. Add a bar of really nice chocolate, a pretty notebook and pen, a book that you have been longing to read or an old classic. I am currently reading a very seasonal book which I can highly recommend! Everything you need for an afternoon of rest and relaxation.
There are so many ways for you to feel good this Autumn. Which are your favourites?
Simple Joy was founded by Hayley Forster, a Wellness & Lifestyle Coach. Hayley is an advocate of intentional living, with a passion in helping others simplify their lives in order to find their ideal lifestyle full of contentment, creativity and authenticity!