Who needs instructions to have a bath I hear you say? It may be obvious , but it is easy to forget that simple preparations can turn a basic bath into a luxury pampering experience! Believe it or not there is a lot more to be gained by indulging in a long, hot soak than you might imagine.
The recipe for a perfect bath
- TIME: Choose the correct time of day. In an ideal world, the evening is the best time so you can wash the stresses of the day away before bed.
- SILENCE: Turn off your phone & lock the door. No interruptions are allowed. Inform the family!
- CLUTTER FREE: Make sure the bathroom is free from clutter so the sight of it does not stress you out as you try to relax.
- BOOK: Pick your favourite read of the moment.
- COMFORT: Select a bath cushion or a wash cloth to provide comfort and support to your neck.
- PRODUCTS: Gather all of your favourite products within easy reach. How about a body scrub to invigorate the body, a face mask to clear your pores and a hair mask to restore shine?
- WARMTH: Prepare for your exit by putting your towels on the radiator so they are cozy and warm when you leave your cocoon.
Additional Extras to Enhance the Spa Experience & Entice Your Senses:
- MUSIC: Choose some relaxing & soothing tunes. My favourite is Katie Melua!
- CANDLES: What is your favourite candle? Select your favourites and place them round your bathroom (remember: safety first!). They will give a beautifully relaxing glow around the room to set the right mood.
- DRINK: grab yourself a brew…. or why not a cocktail or glass of bubbly for a touch of glamour?
- ESSENTIAL OILS: add some decadence by adding some essential oils to nourish the skin.
While you wait for all your lotions and potions to do their magic, why not use your time wisely? Now is an ideal time to do a relaxing breathing technique.
- Submerge your head and lie with your face just above the surface, ensuring your ears are submerged. Blocking out the external sounds allows you to focus on your pattern of breathing.
- Place one hand on your stomach and one on your chest.
- Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Let your breathing become deeper and slower and feel your hands rising as you inhale and exhale.
- Keep your ming clear and focus on the sensations: the warmth of the water, sound of your breathing, and the movement of your hands.
Embrace the experience and find yourself in a complete state of tranquility!
Health Benefits of a hot bath
There is scientific proof that hot baths have medicinal qualities by restoring your body as well as your soul. Here are some of the benefits:
- Detox and Cleanse: Sweating in a hot bath allows your body to release toxins, resulting in a fresher and cleaner skin.
- Alleviate Insomnia: brain activity is reduced and body temperature is gradually reduced which influences the speed you fall asleep.
- Reduce Stress: the weightlessness and sensation of the water allows a profound state of relaxation.
- Reduce Cold Symptoms: the heat opens nasal passage and relieves congestion, helping you breathe more easily.
- Improve Blood Circulation & Lower Blood Pressure: arteries and veins expand to get rid of the heat, allowing more space for blood to flow.
- Manage Headaches: as you relax, your release mood enhancing and pain relieving hormones.
- Relieve Skin Conditions: adding some baking soda to your bath will allow it to act as a mild antiseptic for dry, itchy skin.
- Calm Muscle Pain: add sea salt or Epsom salts which will help relax tight muscles , reducing aches and soreness.
Make sure the bath is not too hot as this will make you lightheaded and dizzy and will put unnecessary strain on your heart – be careful!
Simple Joy was founded by Hayley Forster, a Wellness & Lifestyle Coach. Hayley is an advocate of intentional living, with a passion in helping others simplify their lives in order to find their ideal lifestyle full of contentment, creativity and authenticity!