Gift giving is a huge part of the Christmas season and even though it can be an exciting time, it can also cause a lot of stress trying to think of ideas for everyone on your list. Especially when you are living a minimalist lifestyle or are in the process of decluttering. This post will help you ease that stress and make it an all round positive experience!
If you are decluttering or embracing minimalism, you will be very aware of the benefits being clutter free brings you! You will also be very concious of bringing more clutter into your home and to other peoples.
Clutter-free gifts are things that are not physical items at all and won’t take up any space in someone’s home, like experiences or activities. Or they could be consumable items that will be used up, not adding any permanent clutter around the home.
I have never wanted to waste my money or add clutter to people’s homes by buying gifts they won’t use or don’t even want. I prefer to know I am buying a gift that the person will appreciate, enjoy and use.
Feel free to use this list of minimalist gift ideas. Start by thinking about the persons tastes, interests, likes/dislikes and use this list to come up with the perfect gift. There is nothing better than receiving a personable, heart felt parcel!
Use these questions to prompt some ideas:
Is there something they need?
Is there something they want? (do not be afraid to ask them!)
What do they like to eat or drink?
What have they always wanted to do but never got round to it?
What do they like doing in their free time?
Minimalist Gift Ideas
Experience and Activity Gift Ideas
Theses are the ultimate clutter-free gifts! Not only does the person get to have an experience, adventure or do an activity they enjoy, but you won’t add any clutter at all to their home.
- Tickets to an event (music, theatre, sports etc)
- A membership or passes to an activity they love to do (e.g local golf club)
- Spa treatment voucher – who doesn’t love a good pamper?
- A night away in a hotel or B&B in one of their favourite locations.
- A lesson or a class they would enjoy – perhaps they have always wanted to try pottery or jewelry making?
- An activity they have always wanted to do but never had the guts! (e.g bungee jumping, zorbing)
- Vouchers to the local cinema for a night out!
- Host a dinner party for them in lieu of a gift. Time together is one of the best gifts you can give!
Do you know of any particular food or drink ideas that they love? These make wonderful gifts as they can enjoy them and then recycle the packaging meaning it is only temporary clutter.
Craft beers, fine wines, vintage whiskies or fancy tea or coffees?
Special chocolates, nuts or other little treats!
Home baked item – my personal favourites are fudge and truffles. So easy to make, tasty and you can wrap them up in a little gift box to make them look beautiful too!
Self Care Gifts
- Consumable items – soaps, creams, oils, face masks, bath bombs etc. Luxury ones that they may not buy themselves is always nice.
- Make up or hair care item that you know they need or want
- Gift certificate for the local nail or hair salon
- Candles – always a favourite!
- A self made spa box, where you include things for a pamper evening. You could include a film rental voucher, face mask, bottle of wine and some chocolates.
Gift Cards, Vouchers & Subscriptions
- Gift cards for their favourite restaurant, bakery or coffee shop.
- Subscription to their favourite magazine.
- Computer game vouchers – EA Access, Microsoft points.
- Amazon Prime Access which gives you free one day delivery, access to their music and video streaming services
- iTunes vouchers or a subscription to a digital music service (Amazon, Google, Spotify)
- Subscription to a monthly gift box. There are some great ones which consist of consumable items such a chocolate, wine etc
- Digital subscriptions such as Netflix, Audible, Kindle Unlimited.
- A charitable donation in the persons name – is there a charity that is important to them? You can purchase items such as a goat for a village in Africa or teaching for a young girl.
- Family makeover and photo session
- Your time. You can provide babysitting services, housekeeping etc.
- A letter or card with a special memory of your time or even a photo book!
I hope this list helps you with your festive purchases. Do you have any ideas of your own?
As the festive season approaches, I have been focusing on staying calm and centered amongst all of the planning and preparations. Do you want to slow down and take a more pared back approach where the gift giving has more sentiment and less excess? Then this is the course for you!
This is an email course designed to help you focus on staying calm and centered this festive season, amidst all of the planning and preparation.
Simple Joy was founded by Hayley Forster, a Wellness & Lifestyle Coach. Hayley is an advocate of intentional living, with a passion in helping others simplify their lives in order to find their ideal lifestyle full of contentment, creativity and authenticity!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended. While clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, they will help us keep this site up and running AND keep it ad free! Please check out our disclosure policy for more details. Thank you for your support!